Monday, April 9, 2012

Jalapeño Cheese Cornbread


    It all started at the tender age of nine, what I like to refer to as the pivotal year in most children’s lives. I was enjoying Sunday lunch with my family, my mom, step-dad, and two younger brothers. This particular day I had asked to try a hot pepper, as I had seen my mother eating them frequently.
    We were about halfway finished with the meal when I forked a few green beans, and not noticing the Serrano pepper that looks very much like a string bean, stuffed it all into my mouth and began to chew. Now the Serrano pepper, although not quite as hot as the much hotter habanero variety, comes with a big kick to the mouth and tongue when eaten whole, seeds and all.
    Nonetheless, I was hooked and have been a pepper belly ever since. I was born in San Antonio, and spent many summers there with my grandmother and grandfather. I remember sitting in the kitchen watching her cook up a big meal of traditional Mexican food. She would sing the old church hymns while she cooked until 5:00 in the evening when Walter Cronkite would come on the TV in the kitchen.
    I turned out to be a pretty good cook myself. I believe every man needs to learn how to cook for himself, and even his family. I have told my brothers and sons the same thing. Most women I know anymore don’t know how to cook well, or just do not like to work in the kitchen. To me, it’s not work, just good cheap therapy. My brothers are also the cooks in their homes.
    The cheese cornbread has become a tradition in my family. My step-dad owned Cowboys season tickets for a number of years, and we all liked to have tailgate parties before the games. Popular food favorites were tamales, hot wings, chips and salsa, and my cornbread, hot, cheesy and very spicy. I usually make two different batches, one milder for the faint of heart.
    Most everyone in the family is known for a food specialty and these items are requested most every time we all get together; Deviled eggs, spinach artichoke dip, or a favorite pie. I really miss my grandmother’s coconut cream pie. That was everyone’s favorite. Nobody can cook like she could. In her honor, I think I’ll request that for Thanksgiving dessert this year.
    So I am including a recipe for some good jalapeno corn bread for the next time you get a tailgate party or a family reunion together, or for anytime you want something quick and easy to make with a meal. Ole’ and enjoy!









                Jalapeño Cheese Cornbread

Measure                Ingredient
3 cup                Stone ground yellow cornmeal
3 cup                Unbleached flour
2.5 T                Baking powder
2 T                Sugar
1.5 t                Salt
5                Eggs
¾ cup                Safflower or corn oil
3.5 cup                Buttermilk
2 cup                Cheddar cheese sharp, shredded
3 T                Green jalapeños, seeded and veined, chopped

In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; mix well. Separately beat eggs with oil and buttermilk. Add cheese and peppers to cornmeal mixture, stirring enough only to mix all ingredients well. Spoon into two 8X12” greased baking pans. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cornbread is brown around the edge and firm to the touch. Cut into squares and serve hot. Serves 18



Quote:

“ Grandparents are significant family resources to enrich the lives of their grandchildren. Perhaps through more intergenerational contact, grandparents can ‘patch and mend’ some of the ‘raveled ends’ and ‘tattered seams’ of the new extended family. They will realize that by their actions they can sprinkle stardust in the eyes of their grandchildren. Above all, elders need to learn there are but two lasting bequests they can give their children and grandchildren; one is roots and the other is wings”
                            Clarice Orr and Sally Van Zandt


   


No comments:

Post a Comment